AGAIN, SORRY FOR THE DELAY IN THE POSTS.
THE KINDLE VERSION OF THE ONE CONCIRSCIUIT IS OUT! ONLY $0.83! YES! YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE FREE KINDLE APP ON YOUR ANDROID OR APPLE DEVICE AND PURCHASE THE BOOK. YOU DO NOT REQUIRE A KINDLE DEVICE!
Science Fiction is the genre for people who like to think it large and wild. It is one genre which opens up all possibilities and all your deep inner dreams. Yet, when we fabricate them to a short story or a novel, we end up committing a few common mistakes.
1. Choose a particular time period and stick to it. If the story is set in 2050, make sure the world is NOT drastically different from now. If it really is, provide explanations. When far future is being targeted, make sure the world then differs a lot from the current world. While this seems obvious, as an author, you must align the thinking and behavior of your characters to that time. People in the far future would think advanced things easily. You must show that to the readers.
2. Revolve the story more around concepts and actions. More often, I have read Science Fiction focusing more on the looks of the world. While the reader would be tempted to know, the interest is actually created by the main crux of the story and the stakes.
3. Keep it simple. Language especially. Science fiction is already a bit obscure for any person to read. Even me. So try to make the other areas simple. A reader would generally not expect a word jewel unlike as seen in the case of a romantic novel.
4. Explain or demonstrate. Create some paragraphs to narrate the concept to the readers. Do not ever make them feel lost in the flow. Also try to incorporate some creative techniques to make the audience learn what is going on.
5. Aim to make the readers get extreme feelings about the world. That will create excitement and anxiety in them in regard to the story. Keep spicing things up. Make small elements surprising. Betray the immediate expectation of the reader.
6. A quality Science fiction comes with re-search. Keep at least one hand on reality. That will make your story NOT fantasy. It is always best if the audience are involved to find the reality in it.
Then, obviously the common writing do's and dont's apply. These are focused tips.
Science Fiction is the door to your ultimate wilderness. Everyone wants something way different from now. Writing Science Fiction, like other genres also, requires a deep introspection into you, mentally and creatively. Let it all out!